Thursday, September 5, 2013

Ludicrous Speed -- Fall Events

I'm not sure where summer went. Fastest one ever. I am certain that it was just last week when I bid farewell to the four classes I was teaching at two colleges, thrilled to have a long 3 month summer to research and finish the first draft of my prairie memoir (I got close, at 85,000 words). Now, the second week of school has ended and my calendar is piled high with events.

I'm on the board of Wachiska Audubon Society, a prairie education and conservation group, and our 40th anniversary gala is this weekend. National Audubon president David Yarnold is speaking, the mayor is giving him an award, we're giving an award to photographer Joel Sartore, and dozens of silent auction items will be up for grabs (including a cool hand-written poem and sketches by Ted Kooser). Yeah, I'm pumped, plus we're sold out at over 230 guests.

9/21 is Twilight on the Tallgrass down at Spring Creek Prairie in Denton, NE from 5-10pm. Just $5 for a lovey evening of events.

9/27 is the Pioneers Park Nature Center's fundraiser, Beer, Brats, and Bison from 6:30-8pm. $25 tickets in advance get you, well, beer, brats, and bison.

9/29 My wife and I will be at one of the last Old Cheney Road farmer's market from 10-2, spreading the words about Monarch Gardens, butterflies, and native plant habitat.

And either on 9/14 or 9/21 I'm going to host a presentation on native plants I like, open my garden for a tour, and sell a very small number of plants. Either of those afternoons, so stay tuned here or on Facebook and I'll hope to see you sometime this month. Prairie on!

No comments: