Saturday, February 16, 2008

Buddhist Garden / Eco Meditation

This worked for me today, actually, if read slowly while breathing the way it suggests (though I might lean toward cutting the last couplet). It's by Vietnamese Zen teacher Thich Nhat Hanh.


Breathing in, I know I am breathing in.
Breathing out, I know I am breathing out.

Breathing in, I see myself as a flower.
Breathing out, I feel fresh.

Breathing in, I see myself as a mountain.
Breathing out, I feel solid.

Breathing in, I see myself as still water.
Breathing out, I reflect things as they are.

Breathing in, I see myself as space.
Breathing out, I feel free.


He's a somewhat interesting fellow, if you're curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thich_Nhat_Hanh. He was active in peace initiatives during the Vietnam War (and still is) , influenced some of Martin Luther King Jr.'s ideas, and lives exiled in France.

No comments: